- 2 shallots or 1 medium sweet onion or a combination of both, small chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced or frozen cube
- 1 pkg pasta of your choice; I like to use tagliatelle or bucatini
- 1 box (12 oz) silken firm tofu, cut in thin slices
- 2 tsps turmeric
- 4 Tbsps vegan parmesan (blend raw cashews, nutritional yeast, sea salt, garlic powder to fine)
- 2 – 3 Tbsps nutritional yeast
- Mushroom seasoning or sea salt & honey, season to taste
- 2 Tbsps fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp finely grated lemon zest – add more zest if you want it more lemony
- Optional: organic frozen peas, shiitake mushrooms sliced & bake for 25 mins
In skillet, sauté shallots/onions and garlic stirring occasionally until fragrant & translucent for about 3 – 5 minutes. Add in tofu and let it sit and sauté by occasionally lightly folding into shallots & garlic. Add & gently mix in turmeric – season to taste. Cook for about 7-8 mins.
Meanwhile, cook pasta (per package directions) in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente. Drain and reserve some pasta liquid.
Add pasta to skillet and gently stir in tofu, then add 2 Tbsps of vegan Parmesan, nutritional yeast and toss to coat. Add pasta liquid as needed to coat pasta. If using peas, fold in peas, add lemon juice, grated lemon zest, and 2 more Tbsps of vegan Parmesan. If needed add more pasta liquid.
Plate and top with shiitake mushrooms and garnish with more lemon zest and vegan Parmesan, if desired. Add thinly sliced spinach and kale with tomatoes tossed with your favorite dressing on the side.
When I saw this dish pictured in Bon Appétit, I thought, how can I make this plant-based… so I omitted the bacon, used vegan Parmesan, sautéd silken firm tofu with turmeric to resemble scramble egg yolk and tossed with the pasta. With the added lemon juice and lemon zest, it was just as I imagined – fresh & delicious! Perfect for summer and to pack for a picnic. I love this recipe and you will too!